It is the time that you take a different approach to transforming your body. I am pretty sure that you have been used to the usual weights or home exercises, and it already bores you out too much. Now, let us add dynamics into your training. It is time to rely on another type of equipment that enables you to use the muscles that are rarely engaged. Suspension training, or what they call "TRX," is becoming popular worldwide. Having that said, I am going to present to you the Best Suspension Trainer for another step into fitness.
** Below, you'll find more detailed reviews, but you can click links above to see current prices and read customer's review on Amazon
What is Suspension Training?
Suspension training was traced from Navy SEALs training that comprises of bodyweight movements. They used bands and ropes that simulate a battlefield-ready situation where you completely use the environment to your advantage. It allows you to master your own body's strength and it can be related to Calisthenics.
Besides of using external weight equipment such as dumbbells and barbells, it is a great start to use your body's gravity weight and familiarize yourself with it. There are always resistance bands to use as a progression just like what they do in CrossFit programs. It allows you to get a natural movement and permit your body to program it and make it part of your system.
It became the reason why there are now Suspension Trainers because bodybuilding became more of a trend rather than using their own body’s mechanics. Since the Navy uses real life movements, it is better to do functional training other than strength training. It maximizes your body's responsiveness to its surrounding environment. It is important that that SEALs master the endurance over a vast course or field. They undergo series of intensive training about extremities of the situation.
Benefits Of Suspension Trainers
You don't need to be in the navy for you to train their style. The use of the suspension trainers is now widely available, and certain establishments offer the program. However, you also don't necessarily need as you can just install it in your house.
1. Body Mastery
Over the course of suspension training, you are not just engaging yourself to master your strength, but of how much your body can take. It is an excellent tool that enables you to familiarize yourself with the composition of your body. As you go through the training, you can pinpoint your weaknesses and your strengths over the consistency of the training sessions.
The total body strength is one of the first things you can master, but at the same time, it is also your cardiovascular system that is being put into play subconsciously. So, it is a good combination of strength and endurance which is practical for everyday life situations. No wonder the Navy's are explosive and quick.
2. Wide Choice of Workouts
It is a simple tool, yet there are tons of things you can do with it. Concerning body mastery, some workouts are isolation type of movements, and there are compound movements. You might be surprised that there are whole body movements as well that you can execute with a suspension trainer.
You can be very creative with it and have variables of movements for each known workout available today. You can even combine two workouts into one showing how versatile a suspension trainer can be.
3. Easy to Use
You don't need any special hardware, and you can even attach it anywhere like a squat rack. If you have an unused steel beam in your house, you can install it there as well. It is adjustable to any height that you wish and any position for the workout.
These suspension trainers are not hard to remove from a place where it is set. They are obviously foldable and easy to store in your bag, and it won't take too much space. I think that convenience is one of the best benefits that a suspension trainer has.
5. Available to Any Fitness Level
You don't need to be a pro to use them. Just start out with the basic and everything will just follow through. Even the most advanced athletes still apply the basics to their regimen. Everything that they do is always derived from their foundations in training. Just like how to build muscle where you don't need complex movements to do the job. As long as you perform the work and put effort into it, you will see results.
6. Great Core Builder
If we are pertaining to which muscle group will benefit from it most, it will be your abdominal section, but why? It is what holds you in place and stabilizes you to any workout that you do. It had to be engaged and activated at all times. Sooner or later, you will have the V-Cut abs that you have ever dreamed of.
Those are the benefits that you can obtain from suspension training. A dynamic approach to achieving a better overall fitness level.
Workouts for Suspension Trainers
I know that there are tons of workout available for this type of training, but I am just going to list a few for everyone to start off with. It is very different from powerlifting, bodybuilding, and weightlifting. Time to master that body of yours.
1. Suspended Chest Press
- We can start off with an upper body workout.
- Have yourself an arm’s length distance from the bands.
- Grab the band and lean forward creating a rough 45-degree from the floor.
- Drop until the handles reach your chest and press from there.
- Do it for three sets, ten to twelve reps each
- Note: the further your feet are from the band, and the lower you go, the more intense it gets.
- Dips are not just all about the triceps. There are a lot of muscles involved in this movement. Most important part is to keep your core tight and engaged all the time.
- To set it up, have the handles setup at the same height from as your chest or shoulders.
- Grab the band and lift your foot off the floor and bend them.
- Lean forward and lower yourself until the bands touch your shoulders and repeat.
- Perform three sets with ten reps each.
- Since it puts a lot of tension on your wrists, I suggest that you wear wrist wraps for protection.
3. Plank Knee Crunches
- It is time to add definition to your mid-section.
- To start off, get into the plank position and set both of your feet to each handle.
- Crunch your knee as close as possible to your tummy, and bring it back to the starting position.
- Do this as many reps as you can in thirty seconds.
- You can do the side-to-side variation of this workout to emphasize your obliques.
4. Suspended Rows
- Now, it is time to get your biceps and your middle back involved in the workout.
- Stand in front of the suspended bands, grab it, then walk your feet forward. Your body should create a 45-degree angle with the floor.
- Pull yourself up and make sure that the bands touch your chest, and slowly descend to the starting position.
- Do this for three set with twelve reps each.
- Note that the further your feet are from the bands, the hard it gets.
5. Pistol Squats or Single-Leg Squat
- Lastly, for the glutes, hamstrings and, quads; this is a great exercise for isolating each leg.
- Grab the band and use it as your support for the squats.
- On one leg, slowly descend as low as you can, while the other leg is pointed out.
- Push the activated leg and back to the starting position, then repeat for the other limb.
- Do this for two sets fifteen reps PER LEG.
These are the workouts you can get by when you train with suspended trainers. From there you can modify the workouts on your own, and experiment other movements.
Best Suspended Trainers
It is the time that you choose from the products that we are going to present to you. I am sure that you got the right knowledge on how to use them, and what it does to your body. Invest in these products as they are going improve your overall conditioning for the future.
- Easy wipe handles
- Attached with foot cradles
- Industrial-grade suspension straps
- Movable strap width
- The material of the handles is not great
- The rubber clips don’t hold the length in place
Based on the reviews, I am assuming that the straps themselves are slippery. The rubber clips or stoppers doesn't seem to hold them long according to the users who bought them. Other than that, It will do its job. You can still progress from it properly, but I think you have to find some material to hold the clip in place.
- Includes a 65-minute basic workouts DVD
- Easy to set up
- You may anchor it down on the door
- The kit makes it expensive
- The DVD only works on computers and not a DVD player.
- Others claim that the band is a counterfeit.
I guess some unlucky buyers purchase the counterfeit products than the authentic ones. I still find it helpful that there are other things to make this product better. Although, I wonder why it has to be that expensive just because of the additional kit. There is nothing to sweat about this product as it is still useful, and a lot of bonuses are included with it.
- Easy to use
- Lightweight, perfect to bring everywhere
- It only weighs one pound.
- The handles soak sweat quickly
- There are times that the strap would slip.
A better alternative to the TRX Kit above. It is impressive how they managed to design the product that weighs only one pound. It will almost feel like as nothing is in your bag. I think it is pretty reasonable that the handles could get soaked up since the work out itself are very taxing. The only factor I might consider is that the carabiner doesn't grip the strap well. That, for me, is very dangerous.
- Rugged design
- Increased durability
- Suspension anchor for any door
- Includes phone App
- Tactical Mesh Bag
- Some of its products are not genuine
- It is overpriced
I am glad that they designed something for the military since it all started from them. Although, the design made it way more expensive which I don't think is an economic decision. Another thing I have to mention is that you have to be careful because some reports are stating that some of the items are not authentic at all.
- Simple yet effective
- Easy to use, and includes accessories for home use.
- Some reports that the door anchor was not included
We included in our choice to make everything basic. The other TRX products are overpriced because of the add-ons. The only thing I have to say about it is the missing door anchor.
It is about time that you take your home workouts to the next level with the Best Suspension Trainer. It is applicable for all those who want to change their lifestyle and improve their overall health. Be determined and commit to your fitness goal. If you have any other questions or suggestions, leave them in the comments below.
I’m Gregory Brown, chief editor at ConstructMuscles.com
I spend half of my time in this blog while the other half on being physical fitness trainer. Believing in the great benefits of bodybuilding and fitness to the body, I’ve been motivated to become a fitness enthusiast. It also was what gave me the self-confidence and assurance within myself both physically and psychologically.